Friday, December 09, 2005

Walk The Line

I know I am way behind. I saw Walk The Line the day it opened. It was a really good movie. Reese Witherspoon is hands down my front runner for all best actress awards. She was simply amazing. I think do to all the fun light hearted stuff she has done people are always a little tentative on giving her the credit she deserves and acknowledging her talent but she showed it all off here. Arguments can be made for her deserving more nominations (at the very least) for some of her past performances and now it is time for everyone to step up and give her the respect she deserves. And believe me with the also long overdue attention Claire Danes deserves it is some what painful for me to accept that she will have to wait to take home anymore statues. (Remember she has a Golden Globe for My So-Called Life.) Anyway Reese was dead on with everything in the movie. From the comedy to the drama she did not miss a beat.

And the same goes for Joaquin Phoenix. He has also given several terrific performances in the past and he is dead on perfect here. While I am a country music fan I have never really had a take on Johnny Cash but what I did know was that he would have to give the performance of his life and it would live and die by his singing. Needless to say he nailed it. Even my Grandmother says both Joaquin and Reese nailed it. When people who knew the entire span of June and Johnny's careers are saying this you know they did something right. And I saw Brokeback Mountain the same weekend and no way in hell does Heath Ledger deserve any awards over Joaquin. This is what it comes down to. If Jaime Foxx won last year and he lip-synced then there is no excuse for Joaquin not winning when he did the singing.

I'm not going into the spoiler area on this one because it has been so long since I saw it.

I ended up seeing it at a matinee but I would have been more than happy to pay full price for this movie and probably will pay full price when I see it again.

No comments: