Friday, November 18, 2005

Transamerica

I had my first film festival experience this weekend at the 28th Starz Denver International Film Festival. It was very cool. Saw Transamerica starring Felicity Huffman. What a good film. Felicity totally deserves the slowly building Oscar buzz she is getting. If she gets nominated that would be great but I would still vote for Claire Danes if I had a vote that is. Considering it is usually the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender films that are dark and tradgic that get any real buzz it's nice that this funny, dramatic, heartwarming one is getting any attention. Hell it's just nice having a film with a storyline with a central character that is transgender that doesn't end in some sort of tradgedy.

Felicity isn't the only highlight of the films cast. It also features nice performances from Elizabeth Pena, Fionnula Flanagan, and Graham Greene, in small supporting roles. Again if I were a voting member of any award giving comittee I would have to at the very least nominate Fionnula Flanagan for supporting actress. Kevin Zegers who played the son of Felicity's character was amazing. He's been around since he was a small child but I'm not familiar with him.. He should have a big career in front of him.

As an added bonus to all of this Duncan Tucker the films writer and director was present and did an audience Q&A following the screening. It was great to hear some of his stories and how everything has come together for his little film. Especially an interesting one about Dolly Parton writing a song that will play during the end credits when the film is officially released next month. Always have liked Dolly, like her even more now.

I think I will skip the extended review with plot details for this one. I encourage people to go see this film if you have the chance. It's a roadtrip movie as different and funny as you will ever find.

No comments: