Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I am not a big reader and have not read The Da Vinci Code as a result I really enjoyed the movie. It was put together fairly well. It was a bit long which wouldn't be a problem if it hadn't slowed down so much towards the end. If Ron Howard could have found a way to tighten the end up and keep it moving more it would have been more enjoyable.

While there was nothing wrong with any of the performances there also was nothing special about the either. The characters were good but, they just didn't have a lot of emotional range to work through. I found that a bit odd for a Ron Howard film.


On the off chance someone who hasn't read the book and does intend to see the movie reads this I will put some stuff in the spoiler area to not ruin it for them.


Part of the problem with the pacing towards the end is probably that I had figured out all the little twists. I figured out no later than half way through and probably soon that Sophie (Audrey Tautou) was next in Jesus's bloodline. I also figured out pretty quickly once his character was introduced that Leigh (Ian McKellen) was the mastermind behind the whole thing to expose the secret.

I don't really know why I was able to figure those things out. It's not like they did something that just made it glaringly obvious. What I do think might have been the case is that they figured so many people had read the book that there was no need to really hide it. They didn't really take into account the portion of the audience that didn't read the book.



I paid full price to see this one and it was worth it for me. I'd say if you have read the book though that you should only pay matinee price or just wait for dvd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom Hanks seemed a little blah...I agree maybe they didn't try to hide the twists since the figued everybody had read the book. Glad you enjoyed it.