Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Hitcher

January is always such and interesting time for movies. It is a dumping ground for a lot of bad stuff especially horror. Which is pretty much what I thought this was. But, as a big Sophia Bush fan I wanted to see this movie and the previews actually looked quite good. (I have never seen the original.)

I must say the previews did not overdue it. The movie was really good. It was very well put together. Very few of those cheesy horror movie moments where you just want to smack the heroes. And there was only one gory moment which was a nice change from most horror films of late. It did scare me a couple times so that was good too.

The whole cast was great. I was extremely impressed with Sean Bean's ability to play the villian without overplaying it. He never once went into that place where you want to laugh at the bad guy for being hokey. And my number one reason for seeing this movie did not disappoint. Sophia Bush again was great. She was a strong kickass heroine. Best of all was that she wasn't strong and kick ass at first. She wasn't weak and annoying either. She was scared and just wanting to get out of the situation and she had a very defined point of no return when she was ready to do whatever she had to, to save her own life. That is not something you see a lot of lately either.

One of the problems with horror films of late as been the undifined heroine. They like to get away from one or two strong females and instead go with a whole bunch of them. Never really making one of them the strong lead rather just picking them off one by one until there's only one left who seems to have survived by luck rather than fight. I was really glad that was not the case with this movie.

I actually went to a matinee of this but, it would have been worth full price.

1 comment:

fgossipboy said...

Want to see this as well. Will be interesting ot see how it compares to the orginal. I think the female role in the remake is bigger.