Saturday, January 27, 2007

Notes On A Scandal

My boyfriend and I went on a date last night and he let me pick the movie. Since Notes on a Scandal went wide and both Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett had just received Oscar nominations I had to pick it.

It was rather interesting. It's definitely not for everyone. I enjoyed the story. It's odd to not be completely repulsed by Cate's character I mean she was having and affair with a 15 year old boy. The loneliness of Judi's character is extremely heartbreaking. I still don't know how I feel about her character. Their performances were very good and deserving of nominations. If I were voting I'm not positive I would have nominated Judi but, I'm not opposed to her having gotten the nomination. Cate completely deserved her nomination. Academy voters do love a good tantrum by a woman so she has a good shot at the win.

This is one of those dramas that I always have trouble talking about. You really just have to see it.

Saw it for full price and it was worth it however, I think most people would be more satisfied having only paid matinee price for it.

2 comments:

fgossipboy said...

Want to see this as well.
Love the new layout.

fgossipboy said...

Not that I'm not guilty of this but don't you love it when people mention their boyfriends...It's like boyfriend, boyfriend, I have a boyfriend.

Anyway...I thought the movie was pretty damn good. I really understood both characters which shows the talent of both actresses. I think Judi deserved this nomination in fact I think she's better than Meryl and right in there with Helen for the Best Actress spot. Cate was really good as well. I loved it when she freaked out and yelled at the media "Here I am!"

Jonathan said that Virginia Madsen should have played the boys mom and when she comes through the door she should have hit Cate and screamed "That Oscar was mine you bitch."