Tuesday, August 12, 2008

90210 the second coming

Honestly I don't know what to think about them reincarnating Beverly Hills, 90210. At least they are dropping the Beverly Hills part from the title. I mean who really called it by it's full name anyway.

Considering the changes in society one thing's for sure the show will probably be a lot more risque this time around. Then again there were a lot of things they did on the original that were considered risque for the time.

I'm not really sure I buy Kelly Taylor becoming a school guidance counselor. Sure the character has a lot of life experience to pull from but, I see those kids just saying you did it so can I. I mean come on what are the chances that not a single one of those kids is the child of someone that went to school at West Beverly High at the sametime as Kelly and the gang.

Really though I had no interest in this show until they managed to land Shannen Doherty. I do believe that Brenda Walsh would become a big time director. And is will be interesting to see just how full of herself that character has become. I may actually take in a couple episodes with Shannen. I have to admit that part of me will be hoping there is some sort of throw down between Brenda and Kelly.

Ya know you really have to enjoy the development for Shannen on this one. All those years ago she was pretty much made a star by Aaron Spelling and she got a little too full of herself and was sent packing. Years later Spelling gave her another chance on Charmed which of course aired on the WB/CW and she blew it again when she felt she wasn't the big star. And now here she is on a new version of the show that first made her a star on the network that housed the show that gave her a second chance. And interestingly enough both those shows managed to thrive for several years after her departure.

So what is the lesson the producers from 90210 can learn here? Simple lose Shannen after a few years if you want the show to have a long run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't really see Kelly becoming her High School counselor either. I don't see them really being able to give Jennie anything interesting to do other than sit around and give advise. However, I agree about Brenda. I would love to see a throw down as well...Oh wait you mean Hillary Swank isn't coming back too?