Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I really didn't think they needed to make a third movie in this series. And while it wasn't bad it also didn't change my opinion of them making it.

The story was little stilted and it wasn't nearly as exciting as the first two. Even the fight sequences weren't that great. The writing was very forced in places as was the delivery particularly by Brendan Fraiser. The problems with the action and the dialogue aren't a surprise since they changed both the director and the writer. I really felt everyone involved was trying to create too much new stuff. It's like they got together and said lets forget the first two all together. It's a franchise you can't just through out what came before.

I wasn't too sure how the switch from Rachel Weisz to Maria Bello would go. It was okay mainly because the changed the characters a bit. Primarily that was done by moving the time of the story forward a bit so the character were older.

There really just wasn't that much that was notable in the movie.

Spoilers coming up:


There was a cute moment with the dialogue at the beginning of the movie. Maria's character has become an author and she was doing a book reading. Someone asked her if the character was based on her. The response she gave was "I can honestly say it's a completely different person." Very subtle nod to the actress switch.

I did not like the ending very much. I liked that the guards of the mummy this time were women. However, I didn't like that they had no real hand in killing him. That was a big let down.



Saw a matinee and it was barely worth that price to me. I really think you should just wait for dvd.

No comments: