Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I really had no interest in seeing this movie. The previews just didn’t interest me. Figured Rooney Mara got a Golden Globe nomination I’d see it. Have to admit I was also a bit worried about the length of the movie as well. I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. The story turned out to be very interesting and done well enough that I am interested in seeing the entire trilogy.

I do wish they could have found a way to bring the two characters together sooner. I have to say I was a bit surprised with how many pointless scenes there were in this film both before and after the characters storylines came together. Don’t usually have that problem with a David Fincher film. I have not read any of the books or scene the original movies, so my opinion is based purely on a cinematic view point.

I really was not impressed with Daniel Craig. He just bored me in every way. The supporting cast they put together was remarkable and they all gave nice performances.

That leaves us with Rooney Mara. This was a quite the role to take on as a first big lead and break out performance. You pretty much have to hit it or you’re probably done. She definitely hit it. Wouldn’t say she hit a home run but, it was a good solid performance. I had some problems with the character but, they weren’t based on her performance. It was more about the fact that I didn’t feel certain things were true to the character. Rooney had to give a performance that can be difficult for even the most seasoned of actresses. She had to give an emotive performance but, she had to keep all the emotion contained. Putting it out there with her eyes, body language, and vocal inflections is not the easiest thing to do. She had a lot of stuff to go through and she did it perfectly. I really wanted to know more about her character. Her nomination for a Golden Globe is very well deserved.

Of the three performances for lead actress in a motion picture drama that I’ve seen I’m torn between her and Viola Davis.

This was worth the full price of admission.

No comments: