Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Week with Marilyn

I’ve made no secret over the years of how overrated I find Michelle Williams to be. She made strides last year with “Blue Valentine” and I felt the short comings had less to do with her and more to do with the script and director not going far enough. This was the first time I went into a movie with Michelle Williams with anything that resembled expectations for her. And I am pleased to report that I was not disappointed.

The movie as a whole was lacking. I haven’t read the book that the film is based on but, I’m guessing they wanted to stay pretty true to what was in the movie and not embellish it too much. Unfortunately that leaves you feeling very much like there is something missing. Kenneth Branagh completely disappears into Sir Laurence Olivier. Fantastic performance as a man both frustrated and captivated in many ways by Marilyn Monroe. Judi Dench also gives a nice performance as Dame Sybil Thorndike, a woman who almost seems to patient and understanding to be true.

The entire movie though was going to live or die on the performance of Michelle Williams. Inhabiting Marilyn is not an easy task but, Michelle did it in a manner that actually seems effortless. Not only was I surprised by her ability to become Marilyn but, I was more surprised by that effortlessness. So many times when I have watched her she hasn’t seemed to be in the moment she seems to be thinking and trying too hard. While she may win the Globe (unjustly) for this performance I don’t believe it will be the performance that delivers her an Oscar. The reason I feel her winning a Globe would not be right is because “My Week with Marilyn” is a drama. It is not a comedy and book ending the movie with recreations of Marilyn singing in certain roles does not make this a musical either.

When it comes Oscar time though I rule nothing out, upsets always manifest and this could be one of those moments. She has to get nominated first and there is some stiff competition this year.

Paid full price for the movie and it’s probably more worth matinee price.

No comments: