Sunday, March 12, 2006

When A Stranger Calls

I never saw the original When A Stranger Calls but anyone whose up on their urban legends knows how this story goes. Even without them giving it away in the previews. It actually turned out to be a pretty good movie. It was fun and a little suspenseful. One of those movies though where you need to let yourself get lost in it and not try to figure anything out. I'm really good at letting myself get lost in scary movies so overall the movie really worked for me. One big bonus it had was a good strong herione. And a smart one too. I really can't stand a stupid herione this days nor a whimpy one.

They did a really good job with the build up in the movie which helped. I don't know who (if anyone) this movie was offered to before they went with Camilla Belle but who ever turned this down was stupid. Some of you might be asking why I would say that? Well I shall tell you. Simply put this whole movie lives and dies on Camilla's shoulders. Anything you feel while watching it depends on her performance. Yes the situation lends itself to some of the tension but the true emotion comes from Camilla. If she lets down for a single second the movie is done, the tension is lost, and the audience is lost with it. And that is where she excels in this movie. Never for a second do you not believe in her fear of the person whose calling her even when he isn't saying anything. Her decision to take this role could turn out to be the smartest of her career. You see not only does she have to make you believe in that fear but she has to get to that fear alone. She really has no one to play off of. She has to slowly raise her level of fear for over an hour and a lot of that is done through body language and facial expressions. It's really a rather remarkable performance for that reason alone. And that is why any up and comer who turned this down may have hurt themselves. It was a great opportunity to show just what you are capable off and Camilla took that opportunity and ran with it.

I actually went to see this at the discount theater so I only paid $3 for it but I would not have been disappointed had I paid full price. And I think it will be a great movie on video as well. Probably should pass on watching it alone in a big house though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found it to be an enjoyable movie. As is always the case if you've seen the orginal you spend the whole movie comparing the remake and the orginal. When I saw the orginal I was ten years old and I didn't know the urban legand. Because of that the first 30 minutes of the orginal was one of the scariest most intese movie watching experiences I've ever had. Carol Kane is such and underrated and underused actress but she sure did a gret job in the orginal.

But for those of you how have seen both the orginal and the remake you know you can only compare so much because after "We've traced the call. It's coming from inside the house" it's two differnet movies. I could go on and on about the orginal but let's just say that after that point it turns into a confusing snoozefest for 30 minutes before the exciting ending. There are a number of things I prefer about the orginal but I will say that the remake never got boring.

Camilla Belle did a nice job but I prefer Carol Kane's performance. Carol was just more raw. Anyway, I like how the slowly built the suspse but I do feel like they took a little to long to do it. None the less I did jump a few times.

Being orginally form Colorado I was actually trying to find things wrong on that level but they did a pretty good job. Other than the fact that that town doesn't exist...They had the lisense plates right...And I noticed the area code was 719 which is the area code down in the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area. Nice detail.

I also payed $3 to see it and thought it was worth that price.