Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

A few years ago I was not a big fan of Meryl Streep. In fact I was always like what's the big deal. Her performances always seemed so boring to me. That is with the exception of Death Becomes Her. Then came The Hours and for once I actually kind of understood what everyone saw in Meryl. However, during all the press stuff for The Hours and the woman was a riot. If she wasn't such a successful actress she could be a top notch stand-up comic so now while I will see most stuff she does I won't miss her comic stuff.

The Devil Wears Prada was terrific movie. It wasn't a laugh a minute comedy but, it was still very funny. Anne Hathaway was great as always. I didn't know sometimes if I should be afraid of Meryl's character or amused by her. Which was exactly how that character had to be played. If it was too funny then Anne's character would have come off all wrong and the movie wouldn't have worked. If the character had been to scary then the it would never have been funny.

Emily Blunt who played the first assistant Emily would have stolen the movie if she had more screen time.


Spoiler Warning Stop Reading You Don't Want To Know Specific Things From The Movie:


Yes, Andy (Anne) did kind of put her friends second after awhile including her boyfriend but, no way would he have not done the samething if he had been given a chefs job at a high profile restaurant. The part towards the end at the gallery when her friend Lilly (Tracie Thoms) laid into her about how she'd been behaving pissed me on beyond belief. It aggreviated me because she had no problem with Andy and her job when she was scoring a $1500 purse as a result. Andy was already starting to slip away from them at that time so if she had a problem with it she shouldn't have taken the bag.

I loved it when Andy had to take the book over to Miranda's (Meryl) house along with the dry cleaning and Emily told her where to put each of them. Only problem was there were two closest across from the stairs and three tables with flowers on them. And then when she took the book upstairs the way she coward after being caught was perfect. But, then Miranda punished her by making her get a steak from a restaurant when it wasn't open and find the unpublished manuscript for the next Harry Potter book just to see if she could do it was the most evil thing ever.

And I soooo did not see Emily getting hit by the taxi coming. I was so shocked by that I don't think I took a breath for like ten seconds or more.



I paid full price to see this movie and it was well worth it. I'd gladly pay full price to see it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly enjoyed the movie. I think between this and "Brokeback Mountain" Anne should finally have "The Princess Diaries" monkey off her back. Although in a way the character in this movie has a similar arc to what shw went through in the first diaries movie.

I read that Meryl wanted more depth added to her role. Thank god. I don't want to know how little that depth had before the beefed the role up. I think that character could have used a little more depth but in a way making her more human would have taken away from what a monster she was. Meryl did a great, great job.

I'm not a fan of Simon Baker and this movie did nothing to change my opinion of him. Not only was he not good her looked really odd (funny side note a little girl sitting in the same isle of me said "he's ugly).

I recently saw Emily Blunt in a straight to DVD movie called "Irresistable". I was not impressed with her acting ability based on that movie. But to be fair that movie made me question my fav Susan Sarandon. Emily did a much better job in this movie.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.