Monday, July 31, 2006

John Tucker Must Die

I love a good teen comedy but, they usually don't turn out to be any good. This one looked amusing but my primary reason for seeing it was Sophia Bush and Brittany Snow. I was very much impressed with Brittany when I had to endure the hell that is Nip/Tuck last year so I was really looking forward to seeing what she could do comedically. I was very impressed.

The movie itself turned out to be very good. Way, way better than I was expecting. It was smart rather than stupid. The girls themselves were good characters and very different. A lot of times what you get are the same character with slightly different quirks. These were four very different characters with one thing in common John Tucker. Their differences is really what makes this one stand out from the pack. I laughed so hard my abs hurt afterwards. Not to mention that I was laughing so hard I missed some of the jokes and now have to see it again.

The entire cast was top notch. Great job of casting.



Spoilers Ahead:


I think my favorite character was the one played by Sophia, Beth the vegan activist. I liked how they didn't make her way over the top and that she was allowed to be pretty. And liked being pretty. This particular character is usually stereotyped as not caring about their looks or anything else like that it was a nice change of pace. I was also intrigued by the fact that in this movie vegan activist was code for slut. That was a nice change for the usual stereotype of lesbian or proceived lesbian for that type of character.

When they got stuck on the boat and she whipped out her cell phone and said "this is what triple A was invented for" I almost died. You just have to see it to understand.

But far and away the best part of this whole movie was the boob cam. Pure genius. The whole thought of it gets me laughing again.

The stuff with putting estrogen in John's supplements was funny except when he was wondering if he looked fat in his shorts. That was a little stupid. The emotional stuff and his nipples being tender was great though.

A lot of the stuff that stands out in my mind right now is dialogue stuff and I don't feel like typing all that so that concludes this portion of the review.


I actually saw this at a matinee hoping the smaller crowd would keep me from wanting to hurt someone who couldn't keep their mouth shut. And it worked. It was totally worth the matinee price and I would gladly pay full price to see it. And I just might do that when I see it again.

No comments: