Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

I didn't see Elizabeth when it came out. I really wasn't interested in it and wasn't a yet a fan of Cate Blanchet. And I probably wouldn't have worried about seeing Elizabeth: The Golden Age if it weren't for my boyfriend. He's a big history buff and really wanted to see it. We did watch Elizabeth and it was pretty good.

At times Elizabeth: The Golden Age was a bit hard to follow. There was a lot going on in that time and so there were a lot of subplots going on that did all feed into the main plot. It's just at times it was difficult to figure out what was going on the first time or two they would go to one of those subplots. If you can keep up with it it's a good movie. Definitely don't see it if you are having trouble staying focused on things that day.

The acting was all very good. I could see Cate again getting nominated for the role but, I don't feel it has Oscar winning potential. There are definitely some things coming up that could challenge this movie and possibly even knock her out of the nominations. I think any real potential for wins here will come in the form of costuming and set design stuff.

I'm glad that both movies were directed by the same person so they had the same feel. Everything as far as movements and visuals lined up perfectly. That was really important because that was one of the things that really made Elizabeth work. Although there was one point in the movie that I didn't care for the directing. That isn't too much of a surprise though because I have a lot of issues with slow motion sequences in movies. They are always used with the intent of enhancing the drama and usually just result in killing it and that's exactly what resulted here.

I saw a matinee showing and that was the perfect price for me. I'm not entirely sure what it was but, I just don't think I'd have been too happy paying full price for it. One other thing about it. The next time someone tells you women aren't fit to lead a country. Tell them to watch both Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

No comments: