Monday, January 09, 2006

BloodRayne

The first movie of the new year was BloodRayne. Any movie that involves vampires immediately grabs my attention, when you throw in a couple actress that I like it gets my money. However, since this movie was suppose to open several months ago and then had like zero publicity behind it I wasn't expecting much and I saw it at a matinee. With my expectations low the movie did not disappoint. The story was a bit weak and I must say I was a bit disappointed in the lack of vampires. With the exception of Billy Zane who was only in a couple of scenes all the men in the movie weren't very good. Most of them were completely over doing it. Luckily Kristanna Loken and Michelle Rodriguez were on their games. I still can't get over how different Kristanna looks with red hair. The fact that the two of them seemed to have the most developed characters probably played into the caliber of acting. They tried to give a back story to the character played by Matthew Davis but it just came off as kind of lame and as a last minute add in.


Spoiler Alert!:

If there's one thing I can't stand about vampire movies it's when they just randomly change vampire lore. It's always been that holy water could harm and in a large enough quantity kill vampires. This story however, changes that so that all water burns vampires. Then there were parts where it seemed as though simply slitting the throat of a vampire would kill them. I think not. It's long established that it's decapitation. But that throat slitting thing played into their whole theory that draining a vampire of blood would also kill them.

I wasn't real keen on Michelle's character being killed. I anticipated that she might die before it was all said and done but what bothered me was the manner in which she was killed. While I enjoyed the little under water battle between her and Kristanna, it was certainly not something you see a lot, I was hoping for a big sword battle, which was alluded to being a possiblity earlier in the movie. I did not like Kristanna jumping on her from behind and snapping her neck.


Like I said I saw it at a matinee and for me it was worth that because my expectations weren't that high. If you have reasons for seeing it and keep your standards low it's worth the money of a matinee but otherwise you'll probably want to wait for video.

No comments: