Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Golden Globes

It was actually a pretty good show overall. There were a lot of fun moments and some great speeches. It was fun that so many people were really all over the map with their acceptance speeches. Geena Davis was great with her fake story of the little girl tugging on her dress, Mary Louise Parker always says crazy stuff in her speeches and she did not disappoint again with her wanting to make out with her entire cast especially Elizabeth Perkins, and as if her Emmy speech wasn't hilarious enough I think the speech of the night again goes to S. Epatha Merkerson for her hot flash speech. Good stuff I tell you. And no I did not care for Steve Carell's speech mainly because it was written much funnier when it's off the cuff like the ladies.

Now on to the good and the bad of who won. When the nominations came out I was immensely disappointed in the television nominations and I was every bit as disappointed with the winners. With a few exceptions. First off the lead actor nominations were crap and I really wasn't that upset with Huge Laurie winning, as long as it wasn't Kiefer Sutherland I was good with it. Steve Carell winning was complete and total crap. I do so love it when people get nominated and especially when they win for "original" shows. And yes I have seen things were The Office is referred to as original so I can get pissy about it. Seriously people might want to look up the definition of the word original.

With the ladies in the lead categories. I never did get the chance to watch Weeds but I was happy with Mary Louise Parker winning. If Felicity Huffman had taken home two awards it would not have been pretty around here. Plus if Eva Longoria wasn't taking that thing home then I didn't want any of the Desperate Housewives winning. However, when it came to the drama category I was more upset than I have been in a longtime when Geena Davis won. I wanted Kyra Sedgwick to win more than I realized, The Closer is just such an incredible show and her performance is so good. I still think there most be some network execs out their kicking themselves that because that show isn't in their line-up.

In the supporting categories and the mini-series or movie stuff no big issues there. I don't watch a ton of made for tv movies. And while I would have liked to see Candice Bergen win I do like Sandra Oh and even if I don't watch that show I'm not upset that she won she's great in everything she does and at least she's been getting the attention she deserves in the last couple years.

Now the movie categories went I lot better than I could have hoped. When they opened that envelope for supporting actress and it was Rachel Weisz I was so happy. It's not that I was necessarily pulling for her but I just couldn't take it if it was Michelle Williams. Supporting Actor I'm not a George Clooney fan but I was okay with this because I wasn't overly rooting for anyone in this category. Although I would have liked to see Matt Dillon just because it would be nice if Crash could get a little more love this awards season.

Three words folks Walk The Line. If you have not seen this movie get yourself to a theater and see it. I could make plenty of arguments for how robbed Reese has been over the years but it would have be a complete debacle if she didn't take this award home. And everyone who knows me knows how much I love Kiera Knightly and her performance in Pride & Prejudice so the fact that if she had snuck in there and won it would have been a big disappointment says a lot about how deserving Reese was this year. And Joaquin Phoenix always so good finally gets recognition for it and what a performance it was. And yes I'm in the if Jaime Foxx won for lipsyncing then Joaquin damn well better have won for actually singing. Not to mention the fact this it was a far better performance and a better executed film all together.

As for the drama winners. Although I haven't seen Capote I was pretty sure Philip Seymour Hoffman was going to win. His buzz has been building and yet never been as loud as that for Heath Ledger and that always seems to bode well when it comes to actually handing out awards. And I'm not upset by him winning I just didn't feel that Heath deserved to win. In fact I was rooting for Terrence Howard to win. He gave so many good performances this year and Hustle & Flow was the stand out performance of them all.

As for for the ladies. What the hell? I was pulling for Gwyneth to win for Proof really a better performance than Felicity Huffman. And considering the fact that Gwyneth's was actually a dramatic performance it's much more deserving. I don't know how Transamerica ended up in the drama category but it clearly paid off. The movie is nothing if not a comedy. I don't know who Felicity's people are but they deserve a major bonus somehow in the course of five months she managed to win a comedic Emmy for a mostly dramatic performance and a dramatic Golden Globe for a comedic performance. That takes some promotional skill. This all of course sets up a nice rice for Oscar between Reese and Felicity. A race that Reese should win hands down.

Brokeback Mountain winning best picture drama is exactly how it should be. Of course I've only seen two of the five nominees so who knows what I'll say when I've seen them all.

No comments: