Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Constant Gardener

This wasn't a movie I was initially going to see. It just didn't look all that good. But it was getting tons of critical praise (not something I pay a lot of attention to) and some of that praise was leaning towards award buzz. I do try to stay up on award stuff unless it's just something I can't stand. Unfortunately that buzz (and ultimately nominations) can lead to miserable hours of watching movies such as Lost In Translation and Sideways. But since I am a fan of Rachel Weisz I figured I'd see this one.

It was okay. Rachel and Ralph Fiennes gave nice performances. The story was pretty good unfortunately a lot of that was lost in not so great direction and way to slow a movie. The pacing was way to slow for a movie of this type. That slowness killed any suspense in the movie and the story needed the suspense. They easily could have shaved ten minutes off the film and that would have made a huge difference. I know to some people that may not seem like a lot but believe me with a movie like this it can make all the difference. I don't know what the director hoped to accomplish with some of the framing of certain shots but whatever it was it didn't work.


SPOILERS Ahead:


Considering all the people close to Justin (Ralph) who conspired in their own ways against Tessa (Rachel) and ultimately played some hand in her murder he never got mad enough for my taste. Yes he hunted down the truth but he never really got angry at anyone. I mean he looked two different men in the eye who admitted informing different parties about her where abouts and he just walked away from them. He never directly lashed out at them physically. And yes violence is not always the answer but come on we are suppose to believe her loved her so much that he would give up his career and ultimately his life for the truth but he wouldn't punch the people who made it easy for the bad guys to find her and kill her. Not buying it.

And that part about him giving up his life. Yeah, I didn't care for that much either. Exactly what was the point of him doing that other than to be with her. Fine he got the report and the letter off to the right people but why didn't he continue on then and make sure people were punished or something. I didn't like him just sitting out there in the middle of nowhere waiting for the bad guys to come kill him. And no I don't care if it is based on a book and that was probably the ending in the book it's still a stupid ending.


I saw this one at a matinee and that is what it's worth money wise, but, like I said it was at least ten minutes to long.

No comments: