Saturday, October 22, 2005

Into The Blue

The main reason I saw this one is because I am a Jessica Alba fan. I know a lot of people just see her as another young pretty face but there is so much more there. My expectations for the movie weren't very high and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it turned out. There was some under water stuff with the actors that was a little weird and just didn't look right but, otherwise the over all look of the film was very good. There was some cheesy dialouge but I have to give credit to all the actors for doing their best to sell those lines. No one just phoned it in. Some of the diving footage could have been shortend up which would have helped because of the times when the story seemed to lose focus. Jessica and Paul Walker were both good which isn't a surprise. Felt Scott Caan over did it a couple times but other than that he was pretty good as well. Josh Brolin wasn't very good which also isn't a surprise. But Ashley Scott was just bad. I've seen her in a couple things so far and people just need to stop giving her work.


Spoilers Ahead! Skip the red if you don't want to risk having anything ruined.


I knew pretty early that Josh Brolin was one of the bad guys but I did not anticipate that cop friend of Jessica and Paul's characters being a bad guy. I figured he'd just end up still going to the wrong cop for help.

I was so glad when they finally got rid of Ashley Scott's character but it just was not dramatic at all. It almost would have been better if the drug guys had just kept her hostage and her get killed when Josh's character killed everyone on the boat. The thing with the shark for all the basic build up to it just didn't work really well. That was also one of the things that bothered me about Scott's character, how unfeeling he was. Yes they had only known each other a matter of days but come on that was just a bit ridiculous.

And at the end when they used the sharks to their advantage to help kill the bad guys I have to say having the shark come up from underneath and bite that guy between the legs was rather fun. Yes I'm sure it wasn't so fun for all the guys in the audience but it was different than most shark bites so points to the director for that one.


Saw this one at a matinee and it was well worth that price and I would not have been upset had I paid full price for it.

No comments: