Thursday, October 06, 2005

An Unfinished Life

The number one comment I have about this movie is, why, why can't she just be Jennifer Lopez the actress why does she insist on being J. Lo the star most of the time?

It was a pretty good movie. Good performances all around. I was especially impressed with Becca Gardner, the young actress who played Jennifer's daughter. She was in what could have easily been intimidating company every where she looked in every scene but she held her own. The whole movie was beautifully shot and well executed. The overall story was good rather subtle on it's exact theme but that was just how it needed to be. It was not something that should have been done in a a heavy handed way.


SPOILERS Ahead:


There was some stuff I didn't fully understand. Especially with the bear, at first anyway. I did like it but I didn't always get what it's emphasis on the movie was. I mean it was important to explain Morgan's character and what happened to him. It did turn out to be an intersting way for Redford and the girl to bond though. I was surprised though that after they tried to set the bear free that Jennifer didn't lose it when she found out what they had really been up to. I mean he did put the only good thing she really had left in her life in a rather dangerous situation. And man when Morgan had to stand there and let that bear charge him that must have been freaky.

Didn't really care for or buy that whole thing between Jennifer and the sheriff, played by Josh Lucas. I mean her basically using sex to get protection unnecessary. It's a small ranching town the sheriff doesn't have a lot to do and being friends and all with Redford he'd have been looking out for her anyway. That's what sheriff's in tiny towns like that do. If it had been played as more of a real relationship from the start it would have been more believable.

It was a different story than I was expecting. The previews lead you to believe there was more of a big mystery behind what happened to his son but it was nothing more than an accident and him just not being able to deal. Didn't hurt the movie made for a better movie this way really.


So over all it was worth the time and money of seeing this movie. That's basically how I rate movies by how much I paid. I pay full price for most things and then gauge if it was worth that much or not. And yes I paid full price for this one.

No comments: