Monday, February 13, 2006

Capote

Last weekend I went to see the multi-Oscar nominated Capote. Of all the things that I need to see because of nominations this is the one I wanted to see before all the awards started rolling in. It is an excellent film. Instead of doing your normal long drawn out bio-pic they focus on what is the most significant portion of his life. I really like how his working on In Cold Blood was not only the focus of the film but the events that lead to the book became an interesting sub-plot of the moive and also probably is the most interesting film adaption of the events to date.

Going in I knew it was about his life while he was writing In Cold Blood (a book which I have not read). However, I was not aware of how much time was spent on the killers. Not having read the book and being only vaguely aquainted with the subject matter of it I did not realize he himself had spent so much time with the killers. More precisely one of the killers Perry Smith. The film could have come off as nothing more than a glimpse into a man writing what is viewed as one of the greatest and most significant works of American literature ever. Yet somehow they managed to make it a deep character study of not only Capote but of Smith as well. I believe that to be the greatest achievement of the film.

As for all it's nominations. At first, even after seeing it, I wasn't sure about the best picture nomination but this is one of those movies that it takes a little while to feel the full impact of. And it's best picture nomination is warranted and it wouldn't be out of the question for it to win. The best adapted screenplay nomination very appropriate. I hope it wins. Best Actor is well earned by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. However, while I agree with him winning the Golden Globe for actor in a motion picture drama, I'm really not sure why he won over Joaquin Phoenix at the SAG awards. It was a good performance but it wasn't as powerful as Joaquin's performance. I know people won't agree and yes I know that they are vastly different. Joaquin's performance is very outward and overt while Phillip's is subtle and inward. But, to me there was just something lacking. The nomination for best director is a good one. The one that makes absolutely no since what so ever is the nomination for Cathrine Keener. I can think of at least three people more deserving of this nomination. And it is nominations like this that make people think there really are no good parts for women. If anyone deserved a supporting nomination for this movie it was Clifton Collins Jr. for his portrayal of Perry Smith.

I went to a matinee showing and I would have gladly paid to see it at night for full price.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Liz Taylor's House!!

Anyway I agree about Catherine Keener's nom...Her performance was fine. Better than Michelle Williams' but that's not saying much...Lisa Kudrow, Sandra Bullock, Jane Fonda all robbed...Catherine's character had no arc. I know supporting characters don't always have arcs but this character didn't even have that one big scene a la Emma Thompson in "Love Actually" (and even that character had a arc)