Friday, February 17, 2006

Imagine Me & You

Most people probably haven't heard of this movie. You probably need to be very in touch with not only the indie movie world, but with those movies that come from other countries and the ones that have a lgbt angle to them. This is a fabulous little romantic comedy from London focusing on the relationship between a bride and the woman her mother hires as the weddings flourist. I did see some previews for this on tv and it looked cute but what hooked me was Piper Perabo. Most people probably know her from Coyote Ugly. Hell that's where I first saw her and I've tried to see all of her stuff since then.

Imagine Me & You though peaked my interest because of another movie Piper had done called Lost & Delirious. She gave a stunning performance as a heartbroken teenage slipping into madness when her girlfriend leaves her. In Imagine Me & You she had the opportunity to play the opposite side of that coin. Not only is it a lighter movie in spirit but here she gets to play the confused one and she did it every bit as well as she has done anything else to date. People don't really see her as a lead and I know they don't see her as a romantic lead but this is not the only romantic comedy she's done and let me tell you the girl is a romantic lead, dramatic or comedic she can old her own.

The movie has an excellent story that is very well written. Some great onliners. I'm still laughing about some of them. The other actors were tops as well. Lena Heady playing the love interest nailed it. She had to play that character just right or she would come off badly and throw the whole story out of whack. (I'm also wondering how much work she's going to get offered that Keira Knightly turns down. Holy crap if you watched the movie with your eyes closed you'd swear that was Keira.) Anythony Stewart Head was a laugh riot as Rachel's (Piper) father. All those years of playing a proper Englishman on Buffy The Vampire Slayer it was great to see him really let loose in this.

While I did see this at a matinee the theater I saw it at only has matinee pricing for the first showing of the day so I paid full price. It was well worth it. If you like romantic comedies and lesbian storylines don't offend you check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lesbian storylines don't offend me unless there is a lesbian orgy...Oh wait I love those!