Thursday, February 23, 2006

Oscar Nomintations

With Oscar night fast approaching I figured I better get this post up. I will list the nominees in the order I rank them with the best being first. Any nominees I have not seen will come last and be noted that I haven't seen them.

Best Original Screenplay
Crash - This is by far one of the best screenplays in years. It should win hands down

Match Point - The overall movie wasn't very good but it did have some great dialogue that had really good flow, which says a lot considering how slow the movie was.

Good Night, and Good Luck - What the hell is this doing in the original category. At least 30% of David Straathairn's dialogue is direct copy of Edward R. Murrow's actual reports so how the hell can you say that it didn't come from material previously published or produced?

The Squid and the Whale - Haven't seen.

Syriana - Haven't seen but again what is it doing in this category? I thought it was based on or inspired by a book.

Best Screenplay Adapted
Brokeback Mountain - Really nice writing. The writing actually gave all the primary actors a chance to shine, even if some of them didn't take the opportunity.

Capote - The only reason I don't give the edge to this one is some of the supporting characters, and a couple of scenes that I really didn't feel necessary to the overall movie.

The Constant Gardener - This movie could have had a bigger impact with some better dialogue. It's visuals weren't to my liking and the story was let down even more by the writing.

A History of Violence - Simply put, no way should this even be nominated. If they would put some of those "original" screenplays in the category they belong in this crap wouldn't happen and other worthy stuff would get nominated.

Munich - Haven't seen.

Best Supporting Actress
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener - This is a rather hard to devine performance. It's one of those ones where you can't pin point what makes it so good, you just know that it is. To tell you the truth when I saw the movie I really didn't think it would have the staying power to get nominated. I'm glad I was wrong.

Frances McDormand -North Country - Now this is a fine performance. She doesn't have ton of screentime but she makes the most of what she has. I wasn't moved by Charlize's performance but I was moved by Frances. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled an upset.

Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain - Hell no, she does not deserve this nomination. Do not even get me started on how Anne deserved the supporting actress nomination for this movie more than Michelle did. I read that Michelle said she was just going to enjoy this because it won't happen again. That's right honey because it shouldn't have even happened now.

Catherine Keener - Capote- Seriously what movie were the voters watching when they marked her name on their ballots? There was nothing there she did nothing. I just can't believe they actually threw away two nominations in this category that could have gone to serveral more deserving people.

Amy Adams - Junebug- Haven't seen.

Best Supporting Actor
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain- It's so annoying how much attention Heath gets and how little Jake gets. Jake's performance was so much better and he was the heart of the story in my opinion. They got it right last week at the BAFTA's lets hope they get it right at the Oscars and stop giving this award to all the wrong people.

Matt Dillion - Crash- At least someone got recognized for their acting in this movie. It is a really large cast and it is an ensemble but, what's important here that it gets attention. Seriously, if there is one movie from last year that you have to see it's Crash.

Paul Giamtti- Cinderella Man- He wasn't good in Sideways (a horrid movie by the way) and he wasn't that great in this. I really don't think he deserved this nomination.

William Hurt- A History of Violence- This is just out of control. The man was in one freaking scene in the whole movie, and he was so over the top I wanted to throw something at the screen.

George Clooney - Syriana- Havent' seen.

Best Actress
Reese Witherspoon -Walk The Line- Hands down the best performance of the year. Reese came through in a big way showing the nay sayers what her true fans have known for years, she is the real deal and is far more than a perky, funny blonde.

Keira Knightly - Pride & Prejudice - What a fabulous performance. I've know since I saw her in Bend It Like Beckham that she had this in her but I had no idea that it would happen so soon or that it would happen in a comedy. I thought she would have to get a real powerhouse performance in a drama to get to this point. There were dramatic moments and that probably put her over the top here. Very well earned.

Judi Dench - Mrs. Henderson Presents - Excellent performance. I was ready to argue that if they wanted to give her another nomination they should have given her a supporting on for Pride and Prejudice but I was wrong this is highly deserved. She did a nice job of mixing the comedy with drama and especially making the drama seem funny.

Felicity Huffman - Transamerica - She did do a nice job and the nomination is not all together unwarranted. But, if she pulls an upset it will be the biggest disaster since, well I don't know when but it will be bad. This is not the performance people want you to think it is and it doesn't deserve to win.

Charlize Theron - North Country - This was not the nomination I thought I would be saying should have gone to someone else but it is. This movie just didn't come together the way it should have and while her performance was good it did not transcend the movie like say Diane Lane did in Unfaithful.

Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk The Line - Just remarkable the transformation he made. It is completely unexceptable to think he won't win and he did his own singing. This performance had everything it takes to be the big winner.

Terrance Howard -Hustle & Flow - Terrance had an amazing year and this was the icing on the cake. The movie was good and his performance was fantastic. That wasn't an easy character to make you root for but he managed to make you do just that.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Capote- Good performance, it just needed a little something more. I'm afraid he's going to win and I really don't think he should.

Heather Ledger- Brokeback Mountain- It was nice but it wasn't as moving as people want it to be. And yes some cowboys grow up to be like that where they barely open their mouths when they speak and he got that down the problem is it's a movie and I really need to be able to understand what he is saying. That's really where he lost me a couple of the smaller moments in the film I don't know what he said and I'd really like to know what he said, but I can't rewind the movie in theaters.

David Straithairn- Good Night, and Good Luck- So boring and just not at all what a nomination worty performance should be, in my book.

Best Director
Paul Haggis- Crash- It was well constructed from the script all the way through to the credits. I think Paul did a remarkable job. Especially considering how many actors, stories, and locations he had to work with.

Ang Lee -Brokeback Mountain- He's probably going to win and that's fine. I probably wouldn't vote for him.

Bennet Miller -Capote- Okay nomination. There were somethings that could have made the movie a little better but those weren't things that killed the movie so he did a good job.

George Clooney- Good Night, and Good Luck- Hell no, this was completely unwarranted.

Steven Speilberg -Munich- Haven't seen.

Best Picture
Crash- Hands down just the best movie of the year. Totally deserves this nomination and it would be fantastic if it could pull off the upset.

Brokeback Mountain- Good movie, deserves the nomination and attention, and if it wins it's just as good as Crash winning.

Capote- Good movie just not good enough to deserve winning.

Good Night, and Good Luck- Totally should not be nominated. The fact that this is nominated and Walk The Line isn't is just insane.

Munich - Haven't seen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interresting. You ranked some things a little differently that I thought you would. I won't be sending my ranks until the day before the awards. I am hoping to see "Hustle & Flow", "The Constant Gardener" and "Junebug" at home. And I may see either "Pride & Prejudice" or "Mrs. Henderson Presents" in the theatre.

Crazy Beyotch said...

I'd be interested in knowing what you thought I would have ranked differently.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think Michelle Williams would out rank Cathrine Keener.

And I didn't think Judi Dench would out rank Felcity and Charlize.

Crazy Beyotch said...

As much as I don't like Michelle Williams at least she actually did something in the movie. I don't really feel it was worthy of a nomination (obviously) but at least she had to show some emotion. Cathrine was just there. There was no emotion to her character and she really just bleeds into the background of the story more than having any real affect on it.

For some reason I was just more moved by Judi's performance. While Felicity's performance was good I found nothing great in it. And Charlize just did nothing for me. I can totally understand and relate to her characters situation but it was just lacking something.

Anonymous said...

Best Live Action Short-0/5
Will Win-Our Time Is Up
Should Win-NA

Best Animated Short-0/5
Will Win-One Man Band
Should Win-NA

Best Documentary Short Subject-0/5
Will Win-The Mushroom Club
Should Win-NA

Best Documentary Festure-1/5
Will Win-March of the Penguins
Should Win-Enron: The Smartest Guys In the Room

Best Foreign Language Film-0/5
Will Win-Paradise Now
Should Win-NA

Best Animated Feature-0/3
Will Win-Corpse Bride
Should Win-NA

Best Visual Effects-2/3
Will Win-King Kong
Should Win-The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Best Sound Editing-1/3
Will Win-King Kong
Should Win-War of the Worlds

Best Sound-3/5
Will Win-King Kong
Should Win-Walk the Line

Best Makeup-3/3
Will Win-The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Should Win-The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Best Song-3/3
Will Win-This actually could be closer than I initially thought. If they’re looking to equally divide prizes between “Crash” and “Brokeback Mountain” this one will go to “In the Deep” from “Crash”…HOWEVER, I’m still betting on “Travelin’ Thru” from “Transamerica”. That way they can recognize that film without having to produce an upset in the Best Actress race.
Should Win-Tough call but I’m going with “Travelin’ Thru” from “Transamerica”…”It’s Hard Out Here For a Pimp” is a really good song but I feel like “Travelin’ Thru” captured the entire essence of the film while “It’s Hard Out Here For A Pimp” was just a good song.

Best Score-3/5
Will Win-Memoirs of a Geisha
Should Win-Brokeback Mountain

Best Costume Design-2/5
Will Win-Memoirs of a Geisha
Should Win-Walk the Line

Best Art Direction-2/5
Will Win-Memoirs of a Geisha
Should Win-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Best Film Editing-5/5
Will Win-I would think “Crash” but then again “The Hours” didn’t win in this category. This could be an upset but “Munich” or “Cinderella Man”…But in the end I am going with “Crash”
Should Win-Crash

Best Cinematography-3/5
Will Win-Brokeback Mountain---If there is to be a bone thrown to “Good Night and Good Luck” this is the only place it has any business happening.
Should Win-Brokeback Mountain

NOW THE BIG ONES WHICH WILL BE RANKED FROM 5 TO 1

Best Adapted Screenplay-4/5

Will Win-Brokeback Mountain

5. A History of Violence-I haven’t seen.

4. The Constant Gardener-I understand why people liked this movie but I found it kind of boring. Pacing issues could be contributed to editing and directing but it all starts with the screenplay.

3. Capote-A pretty simple screenplay but a nice one. Really gave Phillip Seymour Hoffman the chance to shine. However, some of the other characters weren’t very well developed.

2. Munich-This movie was incredibly powerful and I’m glad it didn’t fade away. Most of the power and suspense of this film is owed to Eric Bana, Steven Speilberg and the editing but again it all starts with the screenplay.

1.Brokeback Mountain-Beautiful screenplay for a beautiful film. Well developed characters.

Best Original Screenplay-4/5

Will Win-Crash

5. The Squid and the Whale-I haven’t seen.

4. Good Night and Good Luck-WTF? This film was practically a documentary with a lot of the dialogue taken from the real broadcasts and the dialogue that isn’t is pretty freakin’ boring. Wasted nomination.

3. Syriana-The story is there. Maybe it read better on the page then it came out on screen but as is it was a snoozefest.

2. Match Point-Seriously Woody Allen is this what you call a thriller? The dialogue was fine but there was pacing issues but at least I wasn’t bored.

1.Crash-A brilliant powerful movie that managed to show complexity in many, many characters.

Best Supporting Actress-4/5

Will Win-This is the surprise category and for some reason I am feeling one this year. Rachel Weisz will have to settle for her globe and SAG actor because this is going to Amy Adams in “Junebug”

5. Amy Adams in Junebug-I haven’t seen…Although a case could be made of Lisa Kudrow in “Happy Endings” or Taraji P. Henson in “Hustle & Flow”

4. Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain-What a disappointing performance. I was looking forward to this film so much and I was excited about her nomination. I always enjoyed her on “Dawson’s Creek” and I actually this she deserved Emmy consideration for the 2nd season of that show. However, after seeing this film I’m beginning to wonder if Jen was just the perfect role for her at the right time. The first time I saw this film I thought her performance flat. However, the second time I saw it I thought she was bad. She was trying too hard. I appreciate her trying but it just wasn’t there…This spot should have gone to Sandra Bullock in “Crash” or Jane Fonda in “Monster-In-Law”.

3. Catherine Keener in Capote-I am not really a big fan but she has grown on me over the years. I though her nomination 6 years ago for “Being John Malcovich” was a mistake. But that was then and this is now. This is not a good role. The character isn’t well developed. The only chance she gets to shine is in one line delivery when she tells Truman about stooping the execution “Maybe. But the truth is you didn’t want to”- Her performance was fine it was the role that wasn’t well developed. She did the best with what she had to work with…This spot should have gone to Shirley MacLaine in “In Her Shoes”

2. Frances McDormand in North Country-The first time she spoke I was so excited to hear that Fargo accent again. She gave a good performance that further shows what a versatile actress she is. I’m not opposed to Frances McDormand winning a 2nd Oscar but this isn’t the movie it should happen for.

1.Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener-She’s come a long, long way. When I first saw her in “The Mummy” I honestly didn’t think she was a good actress at all and I stuck with that opinion until the fall of 2003 when she changed my mind with excellent performances in two films, “The Shape Of Things” and “The Runaway Jury”. In my mind this is a one-woman category. He wins hands down. The first 40 minutes of the film are all hers and she does a great job with them. In fact her performance is the main reason to watch this film. After she’s gone you mays well turn it off.

Best Supporting Actor-4/5

Will Win-Paul Giamatti in Cinderella Man

5. William Hurt in A History of Violence-I haven’t seen. I know he’s a good actor but I think a case for this spot could have been made for Terrance Howard in “Crash”

4. George Clooney in Syriana-I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of George Clooney but I wouldn’t say I don’t like him either. I think he did some nice work on “ER” in the first couple seasons as well as in “Out Of Sight” and “Three Kings”. However, he does not deserve to be nominated for this performance. The only reason he got nominated is because he gained weight and grew an ugly beard. The only performance in this film that deserved any attention was Matt Damon’s but even then this spot should have gone to Micheal Pena in “Crash” or his co-star Ryan Phillipe.

3. Paul Giamatti in Cinderella Man-I have NEVER liked his. I don’t care with anybody says he was NOT good in “American Splendor” or “Sideways”. And he wasn’t necessarily good in this film, as he was not annoying. Which I guess is an accomplishment for him but not one that deserves an Oscar nomination and certainly not one that deserves to win an Oscar…This spot should have gone to Kevin Zegers in “Transamerica”.

2. Matt Dillon in Crash-He’s been around a long, long time and I am so glad he will be forever be a part of Hollywood history with his Oscar nomination. He is a good representative of the excellent ensemble acting that was a part of “Crash”. A well deserved nomination and he is the ONLY person other than Jake Gyllenhall that has any business even being considered for this award.

1.Jake Gyllenhall in “Brokeback Mountain”-I’ve though he was a good actor ever since I saw him in “October Sky” and I’ve had SANDRA BULLOCK thoughts for him since “The Good Girl”. In fact I think his first Oscar nominations should have come three years ago for “The Good Girl:” and/or “Moonlight Mile”…This is the supporting performance of the year. There are two kind of good performances. One is where you say “So in so is good” and the other is when you say “So and so was that character”. Last year Cate Blanchett was Katherine Hepburn and this year Jake Gyllenhall was Jake Twist. Jake said he only succeeded of microseconds in doing what he needed to do for this character. If that’s true I can’t imagine how could he would have been if he had been successful the whole time but as his this is a performance that deserved an Academy Award.

Best Actress-3/5

Will Win-Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line

5 &4-Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson Presents & Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice-I haven’t seen either of these performances but I do this strong cases could have been made for “In Her Shoes” duo of Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz for Joan Allen in “The Upside Of Anger”

3. Charlize Theron in North Country-For years I watched her talented wasted in girlfriend rolls. I kept saying she could be the next Jessica Lange if she could just get some good roles. And now she has

2 nominations in 3 years and my point has been proved. A well deserved nomination but she doesn’t deserve to win.
2. Felicity Huffman in Transamerica-This is an incredible close two woman race in my mind. Felicty wasn’t just good she was Bree. This is a performance that I rank higher than Hillary Swank’s in “Boys Don’t Cry” but lower than Charlize Theron’s in “Monster”. If she pulls the upset I may be slightly disappointed for Reese but I’ll be happy for Felicity. Reese will get more Oscar nominations but this is probably Felicity’s only shot.

1.Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line-Much like Renee Zellweger in “Cold Mountain” two years ago she comes on screen and you can’t take your eyes off her. If Felicity Huffman was Bree than Reese WAS June Carter Cash. I can’t imagine another actress in the role. She should win….Just one thing. Technically this is a supporting role.

Best Actor-5/5

Will Win-Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote

5. David Strathairn in Good Night And Good Luck-Whatever. I acklowdege that he has talent but this is a wasted nomination. A boring performance in a boring film…This spot should have gone to Eric Bana in Munich

4. Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain-There is nothing wrong with this performance. It’s a very good performance. One that I enjoyed an appreciated more upon the second viewing. I’ve known he’s had genuine talent since he stole the show from Mel Gibson in “The Patriot”. A nice subtle performance that deserved to be nominated but not one that deserves to win.

3. Terrence Howard in Hustle & Flow-I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this movie or the performance but much to my surprise I enjoyed both a great deal. A great star making performance. Forget Jamie Foxx this is the next Denzel Washington and like Denzel he won’t win on his first nomination.

2. Joquin Phoenix in Walk The Line-This is another close two person race. Joaquin was Johnny Cash. He tore up the screen. This performance puts Jamie Foxx’s to shame. If he wins I will have absolutely no problem with it.

1.Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote-He was Truman Capote. Not just with that strange voice and fey gestures but with the way he truly developed the character. In real life people are likable and unlikeble at the same time. They do good things and bad things. Hoffman really layered his character. At one moment I like him and I feel sorry for him but at the next I want to slap him because he’s being so selfish and almost evil. And when you compare it to all the excellent work he’s given us over the years you are even more impressed.

Best Director-5/5

Will Win-Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

5. George Clooney for Good Night and Good Luck-If this was a big step up from “Confessions of A Dangerous Mind” then I never ever want to see that movie. A boring snoozefest. He and Sofia Coppola should NEVER be allowed to direct again. NEVER, EVER, EVER again…. Obviously a wasted nomination that should have gone to James Mangold for Walk the Line

4. Bennett Miller for Capote-Excellent movie that had good performances, good pacing and some interesting shots. A well deserved nomination.

3. Paul Haggis for Crash-This nomination was absolutely deserved but Haggis isn’t a very subtle director. As powerful as this film was I felt like he was pointing out obvious things. And not just pointing them out he was almost beating me over the head with them.

2. Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain-He is an interesting director. There is usually a removed quality to his films and his films almost always get better with repeat viewing. That was certainly the case for this film. On one hand I like that his films get better with repeat viewings but at the same time shouldn’t you film be impactfull the first time around.

1.Steven Spielberg for Munich-I don’t care that he already has two Best Director Oscars he deserved a third for this very powerful film. It is at once a thriller and a political statement. He shows instead of tells. Something that Paul Haggis learned yet. And this film wasn’t removed and was incredably powerful upon first viewing something Ang Lee didn’t do.

Best Picture

Will Win-If the Oscars were in late March like the used to be I think “Crash” would pull off the upset but with less time for “Crash” to come from behind and for “Brokeback Mountain” to loose it’s momentum the Oscar for for the Best Picture of 2005 will go to…”Brokeback Mountain” and I’m okay with it.

5. Good Night and Good Luck-why, Why, WHY is this nominated.? I sat there thinking, “If I walk out I really won’t care that I didn’t see the rest of the film”. Hell, I didn’t even think that during “Lost In Translation” or “Sideways”….There is no way in hell his spot didn’t belong to “Walk The Line”.

4. Capote-A very good film. I was involved the whole time and its nomination isn’t undeserved but I still think I would have gone with “Transamerica”.

3. Brokeback Mountain-Never have I looked forward to a movie such much before it even went into production. A beautiful important movie that gets better with the 2nd viewing. A movie I will own and yet in the end it’s not the movie I would vote for.

2. Munich-I was so tired when I went into the movie but I sucked me in right away and it never let go. Good performances all around, good directing, good pacing, good editing. I have always believed that god existed in some form but I came out of this movie saying “There is no god”---That is a powerful film.

1. Crash-Wow. I thought this movie looked good and it is exceeded my expectations. At one specific moment I couldn’t breath and as soon as the movie was over I had to get out of Los Angeles for a day. Despite its lack of subtlety in some places this is the Best Movie of the year.

Anonymous said...

One quick thing...I realized that I wrote I was excited about Michelle Williams' nomination. Obviously I wasn't. What I meant to say was I was very excited when she was cast in that role.