Sunday, September 18, 2005

Emmys

Over all not a bad night. Considering the not so great set of nominees I actually wasn't as disappointed in the winners as I thought I would be. Ellen was good but I don't much enjoy all the backstage stuff that hosts have been doing during awards shows lately. That Emmy Idol thing was fun and hopefully a onetime thing. Despite the votes (which by the way stupid since it's only live on the east coast) Kristen Bell was the best of the four. She actually had to put some real time into it not to mention having to wear that 80's outfit.

As for actual awards. The awards for Everyone Loves Raymond were predictable yet annoying. The only one I was really okay with was Doris Roberts. Between Peter Boyle and Brad Garrett if one of them had to win they gave it to the wrong one. So, so happy Patricia Heaton and Ray Romano didn't win. As for the show itself it should have been Arrested Development. People want better sitcoms stop tuning into rehashes of the same basic plots and start watching creative stuff like Arrested Development. Comedy leads, really would have prefered seeing Jason Bateman win. Tony Shalhoub's role would read funny while Jason's wouldn't so it takes a lot more work and talent for Jason to get the laughs than the other nominees have to put into their roles. As for Felicity Huffman so, so wrong. Prior to the awards I thought I would be fine as long as one of the housewives won however I could not have been more wrong. I was actually upset by Felicity's win. I am a fan of hers and I do enjoy her work on the show, however hers is not a role that should really be nominated or win in the comedy category. Had the show been a drama hands down she takes it home.

For the dramas. As a greater fan of dramas than sitcoms this is where I usually have the greatest disappointment but this year it went so well and I couldn't be happier. I love Huff and Boston Legal so I am extremely happy with the awards these two shows took home. Blythe Danner is so powerful in that role. Just when you want to smack her for being so mean she turns around and does something very motherly and she plays it to perfection. While I was pulling for Oliver Platt to win I'm happy that William Shatner won because any validation for that show is a good thing. I really didn't think the pattern of repeat wins would hold for the lead actor but when James Spader won it was a great relief. It's never easy to play a character that seems so unredeemable yet in his own messed up way always makes sure the good guy comes out on top. And in the category that always causes me the most stress lead actress in a drama. I like most people hands down believed this was going to Glenn Close and even though I didn't want her to win I had accepted that she would. My hopes where that after being so unbelievably robbed last year that Mariska Hargitay would finally get her long over due Emmy. I still didn't get that wish but my second choice came through and a big conratulations to Patricia Arquette for her win. She gives very powerful performances on Medium and if it couldn't be Mariska then I'm glad it was her. Those two have to deal with dark and often horrific subject matter week in and week out it's how they portray the emotions that come with that, that makes their performances stand out. Sometimes they get to explode but more often they have to keep it in and show it in subtle ways and to show that heartbreak subtly is truly amazing. Perhaps next year will finally be Mariska's year. I don't actually watch any of the shows nominated for Outstanding Drama but if one of them had to win at least it was Lost. Even though I could live without the extra hype for the already over hyped J.J. Abrams.

Couple final notes. Mariska Hargitay was the best dressed woman in the place. Props to her and Portia De Rossi for being daring in orange. And the best speech of the night goes to S. Epatha Merkerson.

There may be some random thoughts that pop up over the next couple days but those are the overall impressions from the night.

No comments: