Thursday, September 29, 2005

FLIGHTPLAN

This was a decent movie. Needed some better pacing and it would have been better because it would have been more intense. Jodie Foster can pack and emotional punch with nothing more than a passing glance at times, which serves the movie very well. All the decision makers made the right choice by changing it from a male lead to a female lead. It really would just be a pretty standard action film with a male lead and most likely wouldn't have the emotional pull that it did. While her part was small Erika Christensen made a smart choice in doing this film. Nothing was riding on her box office wise and she got to spend a lot of time watching one of the best in the business. Something tells me she probably learned a few things from Jodie and considering how good Erika is already that can only spell greater things for her future. And anyone who doesn't think Erika is anything special then you need to rent the movie Home Room and if you still don't get it then you never will.

SPOILER ALERT: Anyone planning to see this movie that doesn't want to know crucial information about the film skip all the red typing.

Okay so I go to these things and I get so into it that sometimes I seem to make sure I don't figure it out. I knew the head flight attendant was in on it but I didn't completely see the air marshall (Peter Sarsgaard) being the other bad guy. At times I thought it was him, then I thought no it's got to be the pilot, then no that's to obvious. Basically I was back and forth the whole time. And I was really beginning to wonder if there was a third person involved as well.

I was 99% sure that she wasn't losing her mind and that her daughter wasn't dead. Even so when she opened the coffin I found myself hoping the girl wasn't in there too. I think I may have even held my breath for a moment.

I did find it a little odd that the captain would just believe she wouldn't make the demand for the money herself or that, there wouldn't be a demand coming from somewhere on the ground. That just seemed a little to odd. But what was even worse was that it only took like a minute for the captain to call the right people at the airline to get 50 million dollars wired. It would take longer than that to wake up the right people because I'm sure they aren't just hanging around the corporate offices at that time of night. They needed to find away to extend that area a bit.

The one other thing that was weird was Erika's character. The whole movie I felt like she was going to end up being more pivitol to the plot. That she was going to stumble upon some clue and find away to help Jodie more. It even felt like those scenes had originally existed but got pulled. It was very strange.


Now I'm just going to say enough with freaking boycotts. Ya know I bet at least 90% of the movies made are offensive to some group somewhere. If you don't like it don't go but just get over it. Flight attendants saying that it depicts them as unhelpful and uncaring need to get a clue. The notion that the role of airline staff will be undermined is beyond obsurd. The truth is that if you really pay attention to the movie the captain isn't really helpful. He's only doing it to try and calm her down and not cause more problems on board and the attitude of the rest of the crew comes from him. I saw it as them thinking the captain doesn't really care so why should we.

No comments: